Monday, October 1, 2007

Grocery Shopping

Grocery shopping with the vegetarian experience in mind was interesting last Friday. Tiff will want to say that I have been very apprehensive about this whole vegetarian thing and will probably point to grocery shopping as the first evidence. Before I defend myself, let me just say that the prospect of chomping down on a bean-burger or a soy-enhanced-hot dog added a definite sense of dread that first day.

But I didn't know what I signed up for until I got to the store. Nothing says mmm like vegetarian chicken nuggets. That's right, fake chicken. I guess it's probably one of the easier things to fake, but that's for another day. And I'm looking forward to some collared greens. Mmmm... steamy greeny.

I should vow not to complain about these self-inflicted challenges, but at this point I can't help it.

On the brighter side, I struck up a conversation with the cashier, Stanley, who I believe acknowledged my forlorn demeanor. He didn't quite understand my reasoning behind the vegetarian challenge, probably because there isn't one, but he rooted me on. Plus, it felt oddly comforting to not only share my hesitation with a stranger, but to laugh with another grown man about the word tofutti.

I didn't share with Stanley that there is a blog, which I now regret. I shouldn't be afraid to get the word out. Why make a story if you don't share it? Maybe that will be a whole other challenge.

No comments:

Exercise Challenge Tracker