Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Veggie Dogs

Overall, I'd say I have been doing alright as a vegetarian. The food can be a little weird, and the thought of grilled chicken, of all things, makes my mouth water and my head a little lighter, but all in all I'm doing a-okay. Last night the Vegetarian Challenge introduced me to veggie dogs. They look, feel, and smell just like hot dogs, and just like hot dogs, I can't help but wonder what the hell are they made of.

Everyone knows what goes into a hot dog, basically - anything. Someone once told me that hot dogs are allowed to include up to 5% of what is listed as "other." I'm not sure if that's true or not so I went looking for hot dog ingredients on the internet. According to sikchux who was answering a question asked by YakHairSandwich on Yahoo answers, - power to the people! - the ingredients include "guts, ears,snout,eyes, [and] basically everything thats left over mmmmmm." Mmm is right, sikchux. I love hot dogs. Wikipedia's version is more technical describing a process of mechanically separated meat, but even with the fancy terminology, it still makes you say "ew."

That's why I was excited about veggie dogs, and eager for this particular challenge. Veggie dogs have all the flavor and goodness of hot dogs without the knowledge of eating the leftover parts of animals that were intended to be leftover. Here's proof positive that I ate them:

Okay so... here's another video. The first half is hard to hear over the microwave, but I'm just explaining that I had tried to fry them originally, which is how I cook my hot dogs, but that didn't work out so I'm nuking them in the microwave and trying again. Check it out:


In the end, a big part of me thinks sikchux is right. I don't really care what they put in it as long as it makes me say "mmmmmm." I cannot wait for fake chicken!

3 comments:

Martha said...

I am laughing out loud watching you gag on the fake dog. Did you actually eat the whole thing in the end??

Congrats on the sure willpower. I would have given up after the first one that had you doubled over the sink.

Tiffany Duffy said...

Tiff's take on veggie dogs:

I ate one veggie dog and it was pretty good. After John admitted defeat and resorted to eating a plain hot-dog bun for dinner, I decided to show him up and eat his other veggie dog. I got halfway through and began feeling like John did in the video. For the rest of the night (and even still right now) I got queesy when I thought about eating them. SO... in John's words... they're "not quite right".

John Duffy said...

For the record, I did finish one whole hot dog. I had a hot dog bun after that because I was still hungry.

Exercise Challenge Tracker