Monday, October 22, 2007

Walking Towards Cancer

...or is it away from cancer?

Last weekend I went for a walk with Tiff and her aunt, Carrell... and 5000 strangers. We participated in Manassas's annual cancer walk, Light the Night, and while there was some definite hokiness to it, it was truly very cool. They gave everyone a balloon with a light in it and sent us marching as a giant horde of cancer-aware hooligans through the streets. The walk took about an hour, and it was a pretty leisurely pace, so while it does indeed count for our makeover sacrifice, I think it would take a lot more than that to make this beast into a beauty - uh, meaning me. Unfortunately, the pictures didn't come out too well:
but whenever we crested a hill, however small it may be, we could see a red path lit up before us winding through the neighborhoods. It had a surprisingly neat sensation, like I was actually a part of something.

Every walker was suppose to raise money to support the cause. People who raised a thousand dollars got a long-sleeve t-shirt! Tiff and I didn't raise any money. We joined at the last minute.

The event had a few sponsors, so as the thousands of jolly participants ended their Lite-Brite adventure they were greeted by a man dressed as a cow giving out Chik-Fil-A chicken sandwiches. Oh, how a nice tender chicken sandwich would have tasted then. I was tempted, especially after already failing, but we veered instead into a near-by Subway right before close, and I had my first veggie sub. It wasn't bad. Meat can add a nice flavor, but the veggie sub's after-effect was excellent. I felt good afterwards; I was satisfied. Nothing beats a Saturday night spent walking in circles and eating a salad on a bun.

Big shout out to Carrell for both setting us up with the cancer walk and for making a true sacrifice by giving up cigarettes.

No comments:

Exercise Challenge Tracker