Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Mighty Jack LaLanne

As Tiff said, I haven't been working out as I've been a little under the weather lately. I just haven't been able to sleep much. I think this only reinforces my theory on exercise "correcting" my sleep pattern. A week later, I'm finally feeling a little better but I'm breaking out in hives for the first time in a couple of years.

So in the meantime, yes, we've begun juicing. We saw an infomercial in Jamaica, if I'm not mistaken, on the night before we got married, that was for Jack LaLanne's PowerJuicer Pro. Maybe it was just the romance in the air, but this infomercial spoke to me and I knew that I must start juicing. As Jack says, "You can change your life!"

It's kind of funny because in the 30 minute TV spot, that's about all he said. Jack LaLanne, the original fitness guru, may have an impressive website, but I think his wife, Elaine LaLanne is the new guru of fitness. She took over the infomercial, sharing all her great recipes, while Jack LaLanne made grand superlatives. "This is the greatest!" "You can't find fresher juice!" "You can change your life!" The clincher for me was, "Take the Juicer Challenge, and you won't regret it!"

Later, in my excitement for the juicer, I looked up Jack LaLanne on Wikipedia and learned that he's also said his two keys to nutrition are "if man made it, don't eat it," which I can somewhat agree with, and "if it tastes good, spit it out." If it tastes good... spit it out. This juicer bearing his name suddenly became much more intriguing. So Tiff got the sleek new PowerJuicer Pro as a birthday gift from her family. It went well with my gift of Yes to Carrots. Tiff was immediately enchanted by its shiny chrome, while I scoured the material looking for what there was to this Juicer Challenge as defined by Jack LaLanne. I couldn't find anything so the juicer challenge is simply to juice, everyday for ... let's say two months. The recommended four to five servings of fruits and vegetables is a lot of juice, but I would be happy getting three to four.

This may make a dent on my wallet, but on first judgement, I must say that juicing is the miracle I've been looking for.

No comments:

Exercise Challenge Tracker