Monday, November 19, 2007

Pumpkin Pie

This sweets thing is becoming as easy as pumpkin pie. This weekend I baked a pumpkin pie as part of a pre-Thanksgiving feast. Not eating it was made easier by the fact that my time making it was spent silently cursing it and its precious crust. I now understand why they sell pie crust in the store.

I also only made one pie while I followed a recipe for two. I know for a fact that I didn't halve one of the ingredients, and I saw after the fact that the recipe for just one pie is not exactly half of everything for two. So I'm pretty sure it tasted awful. This made it easier not to eat, but I was cooking it for my soon-to-be in-law's, so instead I worried about it. I wouldn't want to make everybody sick just before joining the family. Plus, the turkey caused enough headache for the day.

In the end, one piece of pie was eaten to rave reviews. As good as pumpkin pie is and as much as it is a vital piece of Thanksgiving, in my head at least, you don't really need it. There is so much other good food - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes - that even for a true pumpkin pie lover, it's just extra goodness. It's like the cherry on top.

I did eat something sweet though. I'm not free from sin. Tiff made a dessert as well. I'm not sure what they were called but they were slow-cooked apples covered in brown sugar. I had never had them before and they smelled delicious, so I thought I should at least try them... and the recipe suggests serving it with whipped cream, so I had to get the full effect.

1 comment:

Martha said...

I too have learned the lesson of the frozen pie crusts. I don't even attempt anymore to make it from scratch. The last time I did, there was a lot of cussing involved.

We were are a restuarant in Knoxville a couple of weekends ago and I had the most delicious pumpkin creation ever - Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake. When this whole - No Sweets - challenge is done, I strongly suggest you find a piece of this wonderful slice of heaven.

Exercise Challenge Tracker