Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I'm Tanning!!

I've been tanning a number of times since my last post about it. I thought I should explain the process a bit.

First off, the place is really nice, meaning it's clean and I'm not too worried about catching any diseases. This is a good thing. I've heard stories about places that sound gross to be in fully clothed, let alone stripped down to your skivvies.

Okay, so we got a deal that was for tanning booths, not tanning beds. When you walk into the place there are four rooms with beds on the right wall and the left wall is lined with these enclosed booths that each have a door the size and shape of an airplane bathroom. You go into this dressing room, which is small for me and I'm not that big of a guy. The opposite wall has a heavy vault-type door that leads to the tanning booth itself.

My first time it took me awhile to figure it all out. I was standing there with very little on and eye protection that could blot out the sun, albeit very stylish... I couldn't figure out what to do next though. I even tried just standing in front of the lights for a minute but nothing happened. It turns out there's a button you have to press, and then the blinding light turns on.

The room itself is the same size as the dressing room, but it doesn't feel nearly as small. The lights are close but they are all behind a cage, and I am glad we aren't using the coffin-like beds. Although, once your feet are in place, you have to grab on to these hooks that are on the ceiling - wouldn't want an uneven tan. It could easily feel like some sort of awful torture chamber though, locked in some small cage, dangling from the ceiling with your toes on the ground.

For me, however, my feet are flat on the ground and my hands are barely above my head. Plus, there's a nice fan going and you can turn up the music. For lack of better word, it's really nice. And the lights and the heat. The waiting room has a big sign listing off the benefits of tanning, the focus being on that it make you feel good, and they are right. It just makes you happy. I have yet to leave that place anything but happy. Even when I know I burned.

Anyways, the burning has stopped for the most part, as has the itching. The incessant itching and scratching and reaching for places that cannot be reached... that only lasted a couple days anyways. For the most part, I'm starting to tan. There's not much of a difference, but it's a start.

No comments:

Exercise Challenge Tracker