Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Go Green

Last Saturday, many cities around the world turned out their lights. Inspired by the efforts of Sydney, Australia, who sat around in the dark last year, Earth Hour took place at 8pm local time hoping to reduce the amount of energy used.
Hmmm... the Opera House kind of loses it's glory without lights. Anyways, the effect of Sydney's 2007 campaign was a reduction of energy by over 10% for that one hour. This translates into a massive reduction of greenhouse emissions - according to their website it would be equivalent to taking 48,616 cars off the road for a year. That's pretty impressive. So impressive the world took notice and many cities followed suit. Here's the Roman Colosseum last Saturday:

So all this I would normally look at and think "Wow! That's really quite something! It's about time somebody started taking action." And then I would go along my merry way. This year, however, as John Duffy's Sacrifices is limping along, I thought it was the right time that I took action. The world has been sacrificing in the name of John Duffy for too long! It is only right hat I start sacrificing for it!

So, for the entire month of April I will go green in many different ways from recycling to conservation. I hope it works out.

No comments:

Exercise Challenge Tracker