Monday, October 19, 2009

Failure is Inevitible

I’m not cooking. I had such grand plans for this challenge, I was going to learn to cook! But it hasn’t quite worked out. I blame Tiff.

First off, my lovely wife got a new job that was suppose to keep her from getting home until about hour or so after I got home. This changed on day number two. Now, not only does she get home before me, waiting for me to cook something, but she leaves just before me in the morning and throws off my whole morning routine, but that’s besides the point.

Second off, on day number three, it was Tiff who made a pretty convincing argument for eating out. I don’t really remember the particulars, but I do remember the guilty pleasure of eating outside at Foster’s in downtown Manassas on a beautiful Saturday evening. The other several times we’ve eaten out weren’t all quite as enjoyable, but they still beat cooking.

We did find this amazing new place to eat, some Chinese place hidden away about a mile from our house. It was the next Saturday night, just about suppertime, and we were the only people there. Despite that, it is amazing. It’s the best Chinese food I’ve ever had. They served hot tea along with the food, which was amazing, and I’m not a tea drinker! And they had this hot mustard that wasn’t hot in your mouth, but somehow blasted your sinuses with this crazy sensation. It was amazing! We went back three days later!

Thirdly, Tiff couldn’t handle my cooking. What seems perfectly acceptable to me, doesn’t quite hack in the snooty world of Tiffany. Thirty-one days of dinners seems easy enough to me to break down: 5 spaghetti nights, 4 Pasta-Roni nights, 2 Mac’N’Cheese nights, 3 frozen ravioli nights, 6 nights of cereal, 3 nights of Grilled Cheeses, 4 nights of doughnuts, 1 night of chili and 3 nights of leftovers. Tiff likes a little more variety and after three straight nights of pasta was very curious what I planned to do with the left over sour cream. That night Tiff made Mexican. It was delicious.

And that gets to the last point, this challenge was always going to be an uphill battle, one that any reasonable me should have had the foresight to see the inherent flaws in. I mean, I’m not a cooker, I’m an eater. I’m a good eater at that too. Why should I shy away from that?

No comments:

Exercise Challenge Tracker